1 lb. large macaroni noodles
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. flour
3 cups milk
16 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
8 oz. Brie with the bloomy rind shaved off, and cut into pieces
8 oz. cream cheese cut into pieces
3/4 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (more for added heat)
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 pkg. Aidelle’s pineapple and bacon sausage
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350. Bring a stock pot of salted water to boil. Cook noodles until slightly under the al dente mark. Drain and return to stockpot.
2. While noodles are cooking, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add flour until a very thick roux is created.
3. Add milk, turn up the heat to high and bring the milk to a low boil, stirring to incorporate the roux and thicken the milk slightly. Turn heat down to medium.
4. Add Swiss and stir. Add Brie and stir again. Then add the cream cheese and stir until the chunks of cream cheese have dissolved slightly. Add red pepper flakes. Turn off burner and allow to rest for a couple of minutes while the sausage is cooking.
5. Microwave the sausage for 2 minutes, just enough to warm them. Remove from microwave and cut them into small pieces.
Assemble: Pour cheese mixture into stockpot with noodles. It will look rather lumps and coagulated when it goes in but will smooth out when you stir the mixture. Add sausage and stir again. Pour into a large casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with panko bread crumbs. Return macaroni to oven , uncovered, and bake for another 20 minutes.